This healthy, vitamin-packed beetroot risotto can be served as a side, or on its own. It’s delicious, creamy and filling, but not too heavy. And the distinguished deep red colour of the beetroot, in contrast with the green rocket, will make for a lovely culinary sight. It takes a significant chunk of time to make due to the slow cooking of the beetroot, so it would be most suitable for your weekend meals.
- 250 g risotto rice
- 500 g beetroot
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 150 ml white wine (keep the rest of the bottle refrigerated for the dinner)
- Grated parmesan to serve
- A handful of chopped dill, or rocket salad
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Peel and wash the beetroot, then cut it into large wedges. Put the root pieces on a sheet of foil and cover them with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Wrap the beetroot in the foil and cook for about an hour. Or until the beetroot is soft.
- In the meantime, use a large oven-proof pan to heat the butter together with the remainder of olive oil. Cook the finely chopped onion and garlic for about 4-5 minutes, or until they become translucent and tender. Add the rice, and stir until it is covered with the better and becomes transparent as well. Pour the wine and let the mix simmer for about 5 minutes. Then pour the veggie stock. Stir everything well, cover the pan and cook in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Take the beetroot out of the oven and put 1/4 of it in a blender and make a purée. Chop the remainder beetroot into smaller pieces. Mix the purée, the chopped beetroot, and parmesan with the risotto. Serve with sour cream, extra parmesan and rocket salad.